Look Around, It’s Beautiful Here
As the fall season approaches, Park 79 Hotel enjoys the perfect location for our guests to take in everything happening so close by. Culture, Shopping, Nature, Dining, Music…it’s all so close. After the intense heat of this waning summer, we can certainly enjoy just about everything happening. Our last blog centered on the coming season’s major citywide events; here, we center on our own neighborhood. As we’ve walked our immediate neighborhood these last weekends, the energy we experience, the sight of New Yorkers and guests dining al fresco along Columbus and Amsterdam avenues–everywhere–is thrilling! Summer’s finally taken its demand for air conditioning, fresh air is back! Problems of the world don’t seem to exist on the Upper West Side, life is good!
Park 79 Hotel enjoys an enviable corner of Manhattan. Only the magnificent acres of Central Park separate the hotel from Museum Mile on Fifth Avenue. To start, here are the museum highlights just steps away:
- NEW YORK HISTORICAL SOCIETY is wowing visitors with the Al Hirschfeld portraits of Broadway’s greats. Picasso and Keith Haring have come to the building; important interviews and discussions through the season; Super Heroes in NY is just opening. Terrific programs at The DeMenna Children’s History Museum Wonderful restaurant. Beautiful gift shop.
- AMERICAN MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY – HAYDEN PLANETARIUM Thousands of visitors daily come…and go in wonder after their visit. Our guests at Park 79 Hotel so often tell us how our proximity to the museum is so appreciated. Every season brings new highlights. New apps for your smartphones always being created to make a visit even more special.
- CHILDREN’S MUSEUM OF MANHATTAN is for your toddlers and early-school kids. Touch-everything, learn a lot, have great time!
- THE AMERICAN FOLK ART MUSEUM is unique, refreshing, always filled with surprises as to the talents of Americans as the country matured.
We’ll add THE MET: Fashionistas will love the awaited exhibit at The Costume Institute, a November opening. Jacqueline de Ribes, one of the most beautiful women and fashion idol of the 60’s, the international icon of fashion-too-high-be-believed, and long lines will form for this fall-winter showing. Tickets will be available in advance.
PERFORMING ARTS CLOSE-BY
- THE BEACON THEATRE Zero in on the fall’s pop performance highlights
- THE TRIAD on 72nd Street is perfect for Off-Broadway theatre fans,, an intimate setting far from Midtown’s crowds.
LINCOLN CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS has been featured many times in our reports. As this new season starts, we step back and allow you to explore their website–a feast of performances that will fill every evening of your stay at Park 79 Hotel.
- Of course, MACY’S THANKSGIVING DAY PARADE will fill Park 79 Hotel with families–American and from overseas–on Thursday, November 26. It all begins on our corner!
- There’s a crazy, wonderful, amazing “parade” on many neighboring streets on October 31;
- HALLOWEEN ON THE UPPER WEST SIDE finds the noted streets akin to Mardi Gras for children and their families… pets included. Bring costumes, or pick them out locally…but do join in.
GREENFLEA MARKET Always here, just two short blocks away, every Sunday, no one leaves empty-handed! Street fairs pop up all over the neighborhood, great bargains and fun foods. BLOOMINGDALE’S OFF-PRICE is still being built at this writing, but, it’s coming! Broadway and 72nd Street. Certainly in time for the Holiday Shopping Season. But, we can boast almost unending neighborhood shopping for everyone: costly boutiques, terrific off-price department stores, vintage clothes, kids’ and pets’ stuff, sports stuff, cosmetics, jewelry….MARSHALLS, BROOKS BROTHERS, DSW, TALBOTS, TARGET, HOME GOODS, APPLE…and many, so many, more.
As noted, this late summer-early fall time brings diners outdoors, and now, even their dogs can join in. Spending weeks in too-much air-conditioning, music interfering with dining conversation–now we dine al fresco! Everything tastes better outdoors, passersby smile, you’ll want to stay and stay. Gluten-free abounds! No GMO’s! Vegetarian! Vegan! Kosher! Noodles a go-go! (Sometimes seems that all are combined in one restaurant.) So, join the locals and enjoy. Park 79 Hotel is central to unending dining choices. And special treats abound: Jacques Torres Chocolates, Levain Bakery, Sugar & Plumm, Zabar’s, Elio & Bollack’s…unending, self-satisfying goodies. Pubs for going all out as the 2015-16 sports seasons fill the multi screens each event.
THIS AND THAT
Our guests can be at the JAVITS EXPO CENTER conveniently by taxi or subway, or METROPOLITAN PAVILION for smaller events. But we’ve concentrated on our Upper West Side neighborhood…a brilliant season.
OCTOBER – Upper West Side Street Fairs NYC Manhattan
- Sunday, October 4, 2015 from 11 am – 5 pm – Bloomingdale Area Coalition / Upper Broadway Harvest Festival – Along Broadway between 96th and 103rd Street – upper west side street fairs UWS.
- Sunday, October 18, 2015 from 11 am – 5 pm – NAACP Mid Manhattan Branch & Symphony Space [respectively] – Along Broadway between 86th to 90th Street and from 90th Street to 96th Street – upper west side street fairs UWS.